Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Hammerhead and Vypers

Now, normally I think Tau tanks look pretty sweet as-is. It's part of the aesthetic that drew me to the Tau to begin with. Well, this Hammerhead came to me in a trade, albeit not in this form. The form was not pleasing to my eye, and included bits from a Skyray, and some other random stuff. So, I modded it up. The engines got repositioned, and I used the Skyray missile hangar-wing as a set of stubby winglets. Some of the inspiration comes from Descent 3's old Magnum, which is in the bottom left. This Hammerhead has some cleanup here and there, and the base is incomplete, but you get the idea. I'm reasonably satisfied with the rugged-looking paint job; the problem with committing to such vast expanses of a single color is making it look INTERESTING, and I think I pulled that off.
I'm also pretty happy with the way my Vypers came out. They're mottled in grays (fortress gray, space wolf gray, and skull white, actually) to match the same basic thing my Eldar have going on. Same goes for the gold canopies. I got both of these in a trade; one was fully magnetized and one was in the box. When I say 'fully magnetized', I mean the thing could be taken fully apart, the guns were magnetized, etc. I tweaked that one a bit, and instead of popping the whole front canopy assembly off, I just moved a magnet to the chin turret, and kept the gunner's turret magnetized as it was.
I think the two configs I'd run Vypers in are double shuriken cannon (Seen here) and catapult/scatter laser. Even if I don't end up changing loadouts often, I can still track damage readily.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the mods on the HH. They make it look more...flyey and manuverable.

Dverning said...

I like what you did with the Hammerhead conversion. It looks "right" and distinguishes it from the typical Devilfish chassis.

The Vypers look good, though I don't know that I'm sold on the canopies. Maybe if the support beams were picked out a little more. It might also just be my own bias/prejudice on Eldar and that they should stand out rather than blend in. Arrogance and all that.

Actually, I think it might be the lighting. The yellow tones make my think you're getting a lot of washout due to incandescent lighting. I'd be interested to see these figs done on a longer exposure and maybe in a light box...

Raptor1313 said...

The other big reason I converted the Hammerhead is that the sides were also mucked up...the guy had an interesting idea, but I wasn't sold on it, so I cut plasticard for the side, realized my plasticard skills weren't quite up to snuff, and promptly knew what I was going to do with the engines and wing.

I do think I'm going to duplicate the mod for the other Hammerhead. I'd kicked it around for the Devilfishes, 'cept I think it kind of blocks the side hatch, and I might want that. Not like anyone's using that hatch in the HH.

The pics are also taken with the camera I have on-hand, which is a crappy old digital hand-me-down. Usually I manage to frame the shot and avoid the dead pixels...

Though, when I have a steady income again, I'm probably going to look into a photobox. I think there are some solid How-To's around the interweb.

TheKing Elessar said...

The Hammerhead looks solid, I like it. The Vypers remind me of the snow camo on the Ulthwe Rangers in the TCG...