Friday, April 3, 2009

Mech Eldar v1, and PAIN

I got a chance to test out my proposed mechanized Eldar build against Jon's Orks. The list is as follows

HQ
Autarch
Power Weapon
Fusion Gun
90

Farseer
Runes of Warding
Spirit Stones
Doom
Fortune
Jetbike
175

Seer Council
6 Warlocks
Jetbikes
4 Destructor
Enhance
325

Elites
5 Fire Dragons
80

5 Fire Dragons
80

Troops
9 Dire Avengers
108
Wave Serpent
Twin-linked Bright Lance
Shuriken Cannon
135

8 Dire Avengers
96
Wave Serpent
Twin-linked Bright Lance
Shuriken Cannon

135

8 Dire Avengers
96
Wave Serpent
Twin-linked Bright Lance
Shuriken Cannon
135

Heavy Support
Fire Prism
Shuriken Cannon
125

Falcon
Pulse Laser
Eldar Missile Launcher
135

Falcon
Pulse Laser
Eldar Missile Launcher
135

Total: 1850

Generally, the army's meant to move fast. Dire Avengers are decent shooty troops, but important more for scoring. If I can bring 2-3 squads to bear on a target, I should shred it. Given how fragile they are in melee with a single S3 attack and T3, 4+ armor? They don't need to get assaulted. That's what the Seer Council is for.

Anti-armor comes from the Bright Lances and Fire Dragons.

Now, I did get a game in against Jon's Orks. His list was something like...
Warboss
Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field
2x15 Lootas
Shoota Boy Mob on foot (25-30ish)
2 Trukk Mobs
2 Mobs that fit in Battlewagons
2 Battlewagons
Gretchin for cover saves/objectives.

The overall result was that I got routed something fierce. I bring the Autarch as it's been pointed out to me by some folks (including Stelek) that with +1 to reserves and a good, fast army can get second turn and still get the first shots off.

Well, we rolled Spearhead and I had crap for cover. I get the bright idea to hold everything in reserve, and...

His Orks move up to make it difficult to come in, and then on turn two the Seer Council, a Falcon with the Autarch and Fire Dragons, and a Wave Serpent with Avengers shows up. That leaves two Wave Serpents, a Falcon, and the Fire Prism hanging back.

Looking back, this is pretty much where I lost.

Other highlights included 5 fire dragons firing on a KFF-covered Battlewagon. 4 hits. Four penetrating hits. 2 cover saves. Two 1's on the damage dice.

I managed to KO a mob or two, but had no way to threaten the objectives.

At some point I'll remember to bring my craptastic camera on battles and record things.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure this was the best test of the mechanized list. I do feel a little light on long-range anti-infantry. I'm going to test this list out more, and then ponder a way to trade out a Falcon for a Fire Prism. That leaves me having to figure out how to get the Fire Dragons a ride, as at current I've got 3 Wave Serpents and 3 Falcon/Prism bodies with interchangeable turrets.

No comments: