Monday, September 7, 2009

Eldar Mech Test Bed, Hybrid v Something-or-Other

Not long ago, I finally got around to painting that squad of Howling Banshees I'd acquired a while ago. So, it's about time to slap a list together for them, I think. It's patterned more or less off the latest Mech V3 list. I'm also working on re-doing my Fire Dragons; I didn't clear cout 'em enough, and used it as an excuse to cobble together flame-toting Exarchs. I mean, I got a dozen of the things, might as well get 'em together.

Eldar Mech Test Bed
HQ
Farseer
-Jetbike
-Guide, Fortune, Spirit Stones
155

Farseer
-Spirit Stunes, Runes of Warding
-Guide, Fortune
140

Elites
5 Fire Dragons (92)
-Exarch w/ Heavy Flamer
Wave Serpent (145)
-Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

5 Fire Dragons (92)
-Exarch w/ Heavy Flamer
Wave Serpent (145)
-Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

7 Howling Banshees (139)
-Exarch w/ War Shout, Executioner
Wave Serpent (145)
-Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

Troops
5 Dire Avengers (60)

5 Dire Avengers (60)

6 Guardian Jetbikes (202)
-2 Shuriken Cannons, Warlock w/ Embolden

Heavy Support
Falcon (175)
-Holo-Field, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

Falcon (175)
-Holo-Field, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

Fire Prism (125)
-Shuriken Cannon

Total: 1850

The 'test' part refers to heavy flamers in the fire dragons, and the inclusion of Howling Banshees. The Dragon exarchs give the squad some duality; they can always burn troops down if there isn't a lot of armor on the field.

The Banshees? War Shout is a 5pt filler. They're my cutty-cutty squad.

This is also, in part, a draft. I should probably get some Doom in there. The Double-Seer was meant to fortune up a couple transports and ram them down the other guy's throat. I also had to cut down the Guardian Jetbikes to 6 from 9 to make the points.

I'm looking for some tweaks/advice. Offhand, I can think of...

1) Add Doom.
Which one do I lose? Probably give it to the Jet-Seer, though I'll miss his Guide. I suppose I could consolidate them into Eldrad, but...

2) More Troops?
Not sure where to get the points. I could drop the Prism, but that cuts down on the mech amount.

3) Something else I missed?

3 comments:

The_King_Elessar said...

Yes. You forgot the Golden Rule of Aspect Warriors - don't pay for Exarchs with <7 in the unit. :)

Having to use the two Dragon squads in concert to get more than 3 Fusion hits on stuff will see them kill half as much before they die.

Raptor1313 said...

I am a bit tempted to just go full-on test-bed with this, cut both Farseers, add Eldrad, and then get some stuff with the 85 points freed up.

I could then get...
Another Fire Dragon in either squad (to get me up to 5 meltaguns, since that's all I got for Dragons)

I could get two more Guardian Jetbikes (...6 guys just feels small to me, what can I say?) and that leaves me with 9 left over. Not a lot I can do with that 9.

...hmm. Just looked up Crack Shot. Yeah, I think we'll lose the random Banshee Exarch power for crack shot on the heavy flamers. twin-linked heavy flamer? Yes please.

Net loss is one psychic power cast per turn, in lieu of more options.

The_King_Elessar said...

I'd be wary of testing too much at once. it can be hard to tell exactly what's under-performing that way, as it changes the dynamic of the list more and more. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but if not, don't. :)