Monday, September 7, 2009

Eldar Mech Test Bed, Hybrid v Something-or-Other

Not long ago, I finally got around to painting that squad of Howling Banshees I'd acquired a while ago. So, it's about time to slap a list together for them, I think. It's patterned more or less off the latest Mech V3 list. I'm also working on re-doing my Fire Dragons; I didn't clear cout 'em enough, and used it as an excuse to cobble together flame-toting Exarchs. I mean, I got a dozen of the things, might as well get 'em together.

Eldar Mech Test Bed
HQ
Farseer
-Jetbike
-Guide, Fortune, Spirit Stones
155

Farseer
-Spirit Stunes, Runes of Warding
-Guide, Fortune
140

Elites
5 Fire Dragons (92)
-Exarch w/ Heavy Flamer
Wave Serpent (145)
-Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

5 Fire Dragons (92)
-Exarch w/ Heavy Flamer
Wave Serpent (145)
-Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

7 Howling Banshees (139)
-Exarch w/ War Shout, Executioner
Wave Serpent (145)
-Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

Troops
5 Dire Avengers (60)

5 Dire Avengers (60)

6 Guardian Jetbikes (202)
-2 Shuriken Cannons, Warlock w/ Embolden

Heavy Support
Falcon (175)
-Holo-Field, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

Falcon (175)
-Holo-Field, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

Fire Prism (125)
-Shuriken Cannon

Total: 1850

The 'test' part refers to heavy flamers in the fire dragons, and the inclusion of Howling Banshees. The Dragon exarchs give the squad some duality; they can always burn troops down if there isn't a lot of armor on the field.

The Banshees? War Shout is a 5pt filler. They're my cutty-cutty squad.

This is also, in part, a draft. I should probably get some Doom in there. The Double-Seer was meant to fortune up a couple transports and ram them down the other guy's throat. I also had to cut down the Guardian Jetbikes to 6 from 9 to make the points.

I'm looking for some tweaks/advice. Offhand, I can think of...

1) Add Doom.
Which one do I lose? Probably give it to the Jet-Seer, though I'll miss his Guide. I suppose I could consolidate them into Eldrad, but...

2) More Troops?
Not sure where to get the points. I could drop the Prism, but that cuts down on the mech amount.

3) Something else I missed?

3 comments:

TheKing Elessar said...

Yes. You forgot the Golden Rule of Aspect Warriors - don't pay for Exarchs with <7 in the unit. :)

Having to use the two Dragon squads in concert to get more than 3 Fusion hits on stuff will see them kill half as much before they die.

Raptor1313 said...

I am a bit tempted to just go full-on test-bed with this, cut both Farseers, add Eldrad, and then get some stuff with the 85 points freed up.

I could then get...
Another Fire Dragon in either squad (to get me up to 5 meltaguns, since that's all I got for Dragons)

I could get two more Guardian Jetbikes (...6 guys just feels small to me, what can I say?) and that leaves me with 9 left over. Not a lot I can do with that 9.

...hmm. Just looked up Crack Shot. Yeah, I think we'll lose the random Banshee Exarch power for crack shot on the heavy flamers. twin-linked heavy flamer? Yes please.

Net loss is one psychic power cast per turn, in lieu of more options.

TheKing Elessar said...

I'd be wary of testing too much at once. it can be hard to tell exactly what's under-performing that way, as it changes the dynamic of the list more and more. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but if not, don't. :)